Sunday, August 22, 2010

Even the airports in Florida have hundreds of old people


As many of you know, I'm headed off to La Paz, Bolivia for a while. A few friends suggested I start a blog and I hope this is a better alternative to tagging people in Facebook notes. At the moment I'm actually sitting in the Fort Lauderdale airport on a three hour layover. If everything goes well I'll be in Lima by 10pm tonight. I'm pretty stoked to be heading to South America this time. I'll actually still be in the same time zone as everyone back home in NC or IN. I scored a sweet job guiding awesome mountain bike trips in the Andes near La Paz. I'm planning on sticking around a year or so and seeing what I feel like doing then. You can check out the company I'm working for here: http://gravitybolivia.com/index.php?mod=homeb or just google “World's Most Dangerous Road”. About 90% of our work is guiding tourists down the World's Most Dangerous Road. The “dangerous” part is mostly due to the amount of trucks and buses that have fallen off taking plenty of people with them. Don't worry, biker accidents are way less common. The road itself is a gravel road much like the roads we encounter in Pisgah National Forest. This gravel road has cliffs on the side that drop three thousand vertical feet though. The ride actually starts at about 15,400 and drops 11,800 vertical feet. Sweet! I'm really hoping I enjoy leading more touristy type trips since I've committed to coming to Bolivia and living here for a year. I also hope I get some friends to come visit to either ride the death road or not. We also have a bunch of other trails and rides that we take more experienced riders down.

Plane is loading soon. I hope to have lots of adventures while I'm down in South America and write about them here. Spread the word about the blog.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Phil. I guess we won't see you this Thanksgiving. It sounds like a lot of fun, I wish I could go on one of your tours!
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete